Wednesday, December 12, 2012

12-12-12

A post from the momma:

We were really hoping that Corbin's heart issue was a fluke earlier in the year and that his ultrasound would show that his heart was strong and normal and we could take him off of his heart medications.  It's quite a damper to know this heart issue might be life long, but I'm still hoping the issue will resolve and Corbee can go back to enjoying his summers to the fullest.  His meds make it difficult for him to tolerate the heat...

We've decided to go ahead and dock Corbin's tail... it was a difficult decision - a little more so for Corbin's dad.  His tail is so expressive and when he gets really excited, it goes in circles and we joke that he'll take off like a helicopter.  But, his comfort is more important.  And, my fear is, if his heart gets any worse and we need to have it docked later in his life because of an infection or a bad break or anything else that could go wrong with happy tail... it'll be a lot riskier to put him under for the procedure.  So, we're going to go ahead and do it now, as long as his heart tolerates the anesthesia well on Friday. No more leg bruises and injured eyes due to Corbin's whip of a tail...
Leave me alone lady, I'm getting my tail snuggles in
before you take it away from me.

It's been difficult to deal with Corbin's new issues on top of still attempting to cope with the loss of my dad... Today, my parents would have been married for 38 years. I'm so thankful to have been raised in a home where I learned so much about true love. I had two parents who would have done anything for each other, who stood by each others side through the worst of times, who were there to support each other and love each other. I learned from them to trust my heart, to stand up and fight for a love worth fighting for and I learned that family always comes first. In a world where divorce comes easy, my parents never gave up on each other. While they didn't show affection much in front of others, their love is unmistakable. I wish, more than anything, that my dad was here today to celebrate with my mom... they deserved to grow old together.  It's still hard to grasp that he's not here and it's hard not to be angry... I am thankful that I got 28 years with a wonderful dad.  He could have been taken from us earlier.
Oh, I miss ya Pops...

21 comments:

  1. I think you made the right decision - getting any kind of infection in a dog with a stressed heart is never good - so if you can lessen that by having his tail removed - it is for the best. Big hugs to you - it is never easy losing a parent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing what is best for Corbin. Thank you for taking such good care of him!

    Hugs from me too - your dad sounds amazing. Cherish those memories! And you have the right attitude - you had many years with him! Sorry he was taken so soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I missed the part about your Dad...so, so sorry to hear that. And I think you are doing the right things with Corbin and he will be so much happier and comfortable. I always remember a post by former foster Levi's parents when they made the decision to amputate Greta's leg. She writes it so well, but basically she still lives with dignity and she doesn't even realize she's any different. Her blog is here: http://3legs2ndcity.wordpress.com/ (The post title is something about living with dignity).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still wonderfully expressive even though I don't have a tail anymore. Momma loves that I don't hit her with my tail and don't hurt myself no matter HOW excited I get. Don't worry, Corbin will be just fine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sending good thoughts your way. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll be sending speedy surgery & recovery thoughts your way! For what it's worth, the Corbin will be just as handsome with slightly less of a tail. I know this has been a tough year for you and I hope that 2013 finds everyone in your family healthy and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful post. We are sending Corbin and all of you great big and long purrrrrrs to help you make it through these difficult time.

    Have a great day.

    hugs, Max, Bugsy, and Knuckles

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I am still so sorry abouts your Dads. I'm so glad you had a great life with him, and will always have the best memories to see you through.
    I'll be thinkin' of Corbin this week! Keepin' my paws crossed that everythings is going to go smoothly, and you guys won't have too much anxiety!

    Kisses,
    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  9. This post made me teary! Your dad obviously raised an incredible daughter, and I am sure that you make him proud just by being you.

    I also think that as hard as it is, it makes sense to not risk a surgery later on. :( I will be thinking about Corbin this Friday and sending lots of good thoughts your way! He's such a strong and happy boy-- he will make it through this just like he's made it through everything else! Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful tribute.

    We'll be praying for Corbin's docking to go well.

    Nubbin wiggles,
    Oskar

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just cause you don't have a tail, like us, we shake our entire hiney when we are excited. Momma lost both parents this time of year. It's been 10 years and feels like yesterday.
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is NOT the LENGTH of the TAIL that counts.. it is the Intention that matters. Corbin, your tail will be just as HAPPY.. no matter how long (or SHORT) it is.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We know your dad is with you every day....

    Hard decision about the tail. It'll all work out. And if the Corbin can enjoy boating and swimming again this summer...that's all good.

    XXXoOO Daisy, Bella & Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  14. We're sending you tons of positive vibes and hugs to your mom, Corbin!

    Love ya lots,
    Mitch and Molly

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think you are doing the right thing. Loosing a father is so hard. We lost my dad almost a year ago and this past July would have been my parents 50th as well. Keeping you and yours in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We are so sorry about Corbin's heart and now his tail. But the Momster says that our human sister's lab had to have her tail docked due to the same darn happy tail. Gypsy has the cutest nubbin now and you know what, she can even wiggle it a lot. We will cross our paws for the surgery to all go well.

    This is a very hard time of the year when you have just suffered the terrible loss of a loved one like your father. Mom says to just keep remembering all the good times and look at lots of happy pics of those times - it will help a lot. And talk a lot about your Dad, share all the good times. Let the tears flow but smile through them. Hugs to you.

    Woos - Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  17. There is such a sense of unreality when we lose somebody we love. Decades have passed since my grandparents died and still I feel like they should be there. I think that is why we carry memories in our hearts.

    Hope Corbin fares well with the tail amputation. Sounds like the right decision. Now, while he is strong.

    Mango Momma

    ReplyDelete
  18. Howdy Corbin's Mum, don't worry about Corbin's tail. Our old girl Kara didn't have a tail when we got her, only a little stub, and everyone always commented on how it never stopped wiggling!

    I lost my Dad in July this year too and know how much you must be missing him. My partents were married just under 65 years. Hugs to you from me. No worries, and love, Carol (and Stella and Rory)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a beautiful post, your dad sounds so special, may you find peace in his memories. Corbin, you don't need the tail to be your happy self.

    The silvers and more

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. I lost mine when I was young, too (27). It's a difficult adjustment, but the memories you had together will last forever.

    Corbin - we can still tell that you're a happy fella, even with half of that tail still waggling!

    ReplyDelete
  21. *sigh* oh no, poor tail! I am glad it was all pre-meditated and not a serious issue though my pal.....you will be in tip top shape for da ladies now....

    ReplyDelete